In our ballot statement to Phoenix voters, Arizona PIRG highlighted the following benefits of light rail:
· Light rail helps business executives and employees get to their jobs.
· Light rail helps senior citizens, individuals with disabilities and others that have challenges driving get around.
· Light rail helps families enjoy ball games and events in Phoenix.
· Light rail helps high school and college students get to class.
· Light rail helps connect family and friends.
· Light rail saves money for consumers. When the cost of operating and maintaining a vehicle is taken into account, it is less expensive to ride light rail than to drive.
· Light rail reduces air pollution increasing the likelihood that tourists will want to visit Phoenix and provide a boost to the economy. Additionally, poor air quality too often results in asthma attacks and other respiratory illnesses and negatively impacts the health of those of us that live and/or work in Phoenix.
Arizona PIRG is pleased that Phoenix citizens once again voted (4th time since 2000) to recognize light rail as a beneficial transportation and to keep light rail on track.